History

 

In the first months of 1914 the Rhiwbina Sports Club was granted, by the Rhiwbina Garden Village Society, a lease for 7.6 acres of land 'for the laying out of playing areas'. A subsequent meeting decided to name the club The Rhiwbina Recreation Club, and a pavilion and playing areas were opened at a ceremony on May 9th, 1914. The Club comprised two grass tennis courts, croquet green and a cricket pitch.

In 1921, after an extended lease was granted, Rhiwbina Bowling Club was formed and a green was constructed, after raising £825 via a debenture scheme, and opened in April 1922. By 1925 the club was fully involved in its various leagues and friendly fixtures.

In 1958, the year of the Empire Games, the green was used for practice by the competitors of visiting countries. The Club has continued to improve its facilities throughout its history and has been chosen as the host green for many prestigious events. In 1968 the Ladies' green, was officially opened.

Over the years the Club's members have achieved many County and International honours. Idris Evans, a local baker, had the honour of becoming the first club member to represent his country. Others followed, such as T.J.Thomas, Jock Thomson and Bill Gamelin. In 1965 a rink consisting of Rundle Bending, Bill Jones, Towyn Roberts and Jock Thomson won the British Isles Fours competition, and Thomson won the first of his Welsh caps. The club won the Carruthers Shield Club Competition in 1973 and in the following year Les Hughes was a Welsh singles winner.